Mesa Journeys



Prospective Veteran Students

New Veteran Students

Becoming a student veteran at mesa

San Diego Mesa College values its veterans, active duty military and dependent students. We will do everything in our means to assist you as you embark on an exciting academic career with us.

If you are interested in becoming a student at San Diego Mesa College, you will need complete and submit the Application for Admission online.  Once you have been admitted to SD Mesa you will need to complete the following: (Your CHECKLIST BELOW)

  • Submit OFFICIAL transcripts to SDCCD (Instructions on how to submit transcripts to SD Mesa College)
    • This includes all other schools attended
    • Joint Services Transcript (JST)
    • and any other official academic record
      If needed, please refer to the list of programs to study at Mesa Academic Programs (Degrees & Certificates)
    • Receipt of ALL OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS is required before an official ed plan can be prepared.
    • This policy is federal law, and noncompliance may result in the delay of benefits processing, inaccurate academic advisement, or student financial liability in the event of VA auditing discrepancies.
  • Set up an appointment with the Counseling Department to get an Ed Plan

  • Information regarding RESIDENCY
    --Veteran Non-Resident form
    --If your home of record is not CA, submit your DD214 and the Veteran non-resident form above
    --If you home of record is CA, submit your DD214 and a CA Drivers License
    --Email all documents, must be in PDF format here
  • Register for Classes based on your appointment date in your MySDCCD Student Center
  • VA Benefit Forms (GI Bill®)
    These MUST be complete and submitted EVERY Semester to your assigned Certifying Official
  • If you still need to complete your application for the GI Bill®, please refer to the VA Education Page
  • If you are transferring from another school, please refer to this VA website to complete the 22-1995

All Documents for VA Certification can be emailed to  the general mailbox SD Mesa Vets
VA Certificaton Forms

Submissions to any other mailbox will cause a delay in processing.  If documents are not in a PDF format, they will be returned to you.

Financial Aid Information for Veterans

For information about cost to attend San Diego Mesa College please refer to the link below:
Net Price Calculator

Students who are veterans or dependents and are eligible to receive federal veterans' education benefits such as the Post 9/11 GI Bill® may also apply for federal financial aid by completing the FAFSA. Financial aid eligibility for veterans is determined by the same federal process applied to all students and are eligible for the same awards as all students.

If a veteran student is under the age of 24 and is not married, he/she may need to provide the Financial Aid Office with a copy of his/her DD214. The Post 9/11 GI Bill® is the only VA Education Benefit that does not affect student eligibility for a Subsidized Direct Loan.

For more information about Financial Aid or if you would like to speak to a respresentative please refer to the Financial Aid Staff Contacts Website.

How much does is cost to attend Mesa College?
Cost of Attendance

Credit for Military Experience

San Diego Mesa College is guided by the recommendations of the American Council on Education in granting undergraduate credit toward the bachelor's degree for military service.

To obtain credit for military service, you must be fully matriculated, be enrolled at the university, and submit your Joint Services Transcript (JST), Form DD-214 or DD-295 to the San Diego Community College District (SDCCD).

Military Tuition Assistance

If you would like to use Military Tuition Assistance (MTA) at San Diego Mesa College, you will need to contact your base education office.  MTA will pay for the enrollments fees for classes you enroll in, you wlll be responsible for any of the other fees.  At Mesa College the additional fees are very minimal.  In order for MTA to pay for the course, you must pass the course.  If you do not pass the course, you (the student) will be responsible for the full amount charge for the class(es).

For more information about utilizing Military Tuition Assistance please use one of the links below to learn more how to start the process by your branch of service.  You will also find below some links to specific miiltary installations in the San Diego Area with Education Offices.

You will find that most if not all of the branches will require you to start the process of receiving MTA through an online portal (links above by branch).  Once you have completed the online process to receive MTA and it has been approved by your base education office, you will need to bring the approval to the Accounting Office.  Once the Accounting Office has everything, your account will be updated showing you are receiving MTA.

If you have any additional questions regarding how to get started with MTA, we highly encourage you to talk with your base education office.  You can also reach out to the Veteran Services Office at San Diego Mesa College via our general email at

College Credit Options

San Diego Mesa College offers several credit opportunities, including credit for military service/training and passing scores on the College Board Advanced Placement examination, selected College-Level Examination Program tests and Chauncy Group International - DSST Program tests (formerly known as DANTES Subject Standardized Tests). Students may also challenge courses by taking examinations at San Diego Mesa College. A total of 30 units will be allowed for credit earned through examination. For more details about these various credit opportunities please see Academic Credit for Nontraditional Education under the Academic Information and Regulations in the  College Catalog .

Active Duty Students call to service away from San Diego

Active duty military who have been deployed away from their installation during their course of studies may submit a letter requesting a late withdrawal due to military obligation with a copy of military orders or a letter from a commanding officer. This request can be submitted as soon as military orders are available or at your convenience upon return from military obligation.