Are you transferring and ready to be certified?
General Education (GE) is one of the key components of earning your Associate degree or transferring to a four-year institution. A GE certification is an official document from SDCCD which certifies that a student, who is transferring to a four year institution, has met the requirements of a particular GE pattern.
Two types of GE patterns for certification
- Intersegmental General Education Transfer Pattern (IGETC) – This pattern can be certified for transfer to the University of California (UC) or California State University (CSU) system. Click to view the 2022-2023 IGETC Pattern.
- California State University General Education (CSUGE) – This pattern can only be certified for transfer to the CSU system. Click to view the 2022-2023 CSU-GE Pattern.
Requirements for GE Certification:
- A request for certification can only be submitted once a student has been accepted to a transferring university.
- All transcripts from previous colleges and universities attended must be on file. See the Transcript section for detailed information.
- Students with AP/IB/CLEP exams must submit scores if they are using them to meet requirements. Information on the use of Standardized Tests scores for credit and certification requirements can be found in the catalog.
- If students are using high school coursework to satisfy the UC IGETC Certification foreign language requirement, the high school transcripts must be on file. Unofficial hs transcripts can be accepted.
- If students have had two years of formal schooling at the sixth grade level or higher in an institution where the language of instruction is not English, they may also satisfy the UC IGETC Certification foreign language requirement by providing official or unofficial transcripts/diploma from that school.
1. Meet with a counselor to ensure you have completed all course requirements for CSU-GE Breadth or IGETC Certification. See general requirements above.
2. We are currently not accepting IGETC Certification requests via email.
- Please submit your Request for General Education Certification via the District's Forms and Documents website.
- Scroll down to the “Counseling Forms” section, click "Yes" to confirm you have discussed your academic situation with a counselor, and then click Request for General Education Certification. You will receive confirmation via email once your request has been processed.
- Requests can take up to four weeks for processing.
- Students should plan ahead to ensure that they submit their GE certification requests early.
- Once the certification is processed, the original certification is sent to the University and address indicated on the request form.
- It is recommended to submit your request to SDCCD at least 4 weeks prior to the deadline
of the transferring institution.
- Deadlines vary based on the university a student is transferring to. Remember to check with your transferring institution and ensure you are meeting deadlines.