- WE Class List
- Steps to Enroll
- Application Resources
- WE Toolkit - Forms
- Internship Preparation Help
- Frequently Asked Questions
Shawn Fawcett, MS
Work Experience is an academic class associated with a job, internship, or volunteer position. While students learn new skills and gain real-world training in this non-traditional class, they are supported by faculty and focus on developing their career skills. Work experience credit is earned based on 75 hours of paid work/internship or 60 hours of unpaid work/internship per unit the student is enrolled.
Have an internship, job, or volunteer position secured and want to receive college credit for your hands-on experience? Complete the online Work Experience Application below to be considered for enrollment this semester and recieve an ADD/permission # to enroll.
Are you interested in taking a Work Experience course? Review the Work Experience: Steps to Enroll to learn about the process and requirements to apply for Work Experience at Mesa College.
Questions? Please contact the Work Experience Coordinator, Shawn Fawcett, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Work Experience Steps to enroll:
To be eligible to obtain an ADD code/permission # to enroll, students must complete the following requirements:
- Be a current SDCCD/Mesa College student (Apply online at http://www.sdmesa.edu/apply/)
- Secure a job, internship, or volunteer position (Paid or Unpaid)
- Watch the Work Experience Orientation and complete the Orientation Quiz (Save quiz as file (PDF) to your computer as you will need to upload the file into WE Application)
- Complete Part 1 of the Sexual Harassment Prevention Training (All sections and exam. Take a screen shot of Course Progress Report and save as file (JPEG, PNG, PDF) to your computer as you will need to upload the file into WE Application)
- Complete the online Work Experience Application (FALL 2020 WE Application Available!) Watch the WE Application Tutorial below for assistance as needed.
- Completion of Employer Agreement by Site Supervisor (emailed to Site Supervisor automatically once student WE Application has been submitted)
- Child Development Immunization Verification - Spring terms - Only required of students interested in enrolling in co-requisites CHIL 270 (Pearson, L. | CRN # 22992) and CHIL 151 (Pearson, L. | CRN # 22958). These class sections must be taken together and students must complete and upload the Mesa Child Development Vaccination Form below as proof of vaccination completion. No other verification forms will be accepted.
- Mesa College On-Campus Unpaid Internship SDCCD Volunteer Form - Only required of students working in an ON-CAMPUS department in an UNPAID position.
- Attend mandatory in-person orientation (or virtual, see Covid note below) with Work Experience Instructor
COVID-19 ADJUSTMENTS: In response to the current pandemic and impacted closures, remote work will be accepted for Work Experience and the WE faculty orientation and site visits, which typically occur in-person, may take place virtually, most likely via Zoom. For more detailed information, please visit the SDCCD Work Experience website.
Upon submission of your Work Experience Application, the assigned Work Experience Instructor for your class will review your submitted forms for accuracy and completion. Once ALL forms and requirements are approved, the Work Experience Instructor will send an email to you with an ADD/permission # to enroll in the Work Experience class shortly before the semester begins.
WORK EXPERIENCE Application tutorial:
Need help completing the steps to enroll and filling out the Work Experience Application? Watch this quick tutorial on how to successfully meet the requirements to submit your application and receive an add/permission # to enroll in Work Experience.
WORK EXPERIENCE CLASS OPTIONS:
WORK EXPERIENCE COURSES:
Earn college credit for work/internships (in or out of your field of study)
Paid, unpaid, or volunteer placements are eligible
Many Work Experience courses are associated with certificate and degree requirements
CSU-Transferable - Complete and use units towards transfer requirements
GENERAL WORK EXPERIENCE EDUCATION (WORK 272):
Supervised employment which is intended to assist students in acquiring desirable work habits, attitudes and career awareness. The Work experience does not have to be related to the students' educational goal (Title 5 section 55252)
OCCUPATIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE EDUCATION (270):
Supervised employment extending classroom based occupational learning at an on-the-job learning station relating to the students' educational or occupational goal. Work Experience 270 can be discipline specific (Title 5 section 55252)