Career counseling checklist
The Career Counseling Checklist is a great resource to help students successfully navigate their major & career exploration and decision-making process at Mesa College. Each of these milestones can be tailored to a student’s prior academic history, work history and/or current level of career preparedness.
diverse career RESOURCES
For a list of career resources for a diverse group of students, check out our Diverse Career Resources Handbook. This handbook is a collection of resources for all, click here to see these resources.
For a list of Black/African American career resources, click here. These sites provide a variety of resources including job boards, articles, videos, events and career readiness information, geared towards Black/African American students and professionals.
Labor market data
Centers of Excellence provides labor market research for community colleges in California. To view local occupational data, please click the occupations below. For more information on labor market data, please visit Centers of Excellence, click here.
CAREER COMMUNITY RESOURCES
EMPLOYMENT DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
The California Employment Development Department (EDD) offers a wide variety of services to millions of residents:
- Unemployment Insurance - A federal system that helps people who have lost their jobs by temporarily replacing their wages while looking for work.
- Disability Insurance - An insurance policy that provides income to individuals who can no longer work because of a disability.
- Employment Services - The EDD has a comprehensive range of employment and training services in partnership with state and local agencies and organizations.
- Paid Family Leave - A benefit program that provides payments to people who need to take time off od work to care for a seriously ill family member, bond with a new child, or participate in a qualifying event because of a family member's military development.
- Payroll Taxes - California has 4 state payroll taxes - Unemployment Insurance (UI), Employment Training Tax (ETT), State Disability Insurance (SDI), and Personal Income Tax (PIT).
To visit the California EDD Youtube Channel and view videos in many languages to assist you with all your employment needs, click here.
CALIFORNIA UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE PROGRAM
- General Information about the Unemployment Insurance Program: https://edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/
- To file a UI claim online: https://edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/Filing_a_Claim.htm
- To certify benefits by telephone number: https://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/edd_tele-cert.htm
- Coronavirus update: California is providing updates on Unemployment Insurance changes related to COVID-19. https://edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019.htm
SAN DIEGO WORKFORCE PARTNERSHIP
The San Diego Workforce Partnership is an organization that equips job seekers to increase their economic mobility, help businesses grow, rebuild, and thrive equitably, and prepare children and young adults for the world of work. Their website contains information about career resources for the San Diego community, webinars for workers experiencing work stoppages, layoffs or furloughs, unemployment information, and resources for working parents. To visit their website, click here.