Mesa Journeys



Closed Schools Information Financial Aid
Closed Schools Info


Update for ITT Technical Institute and Daniel Webster University
Students attending ITT or Daniel Webster should read the latest update from the U.S. Department of Education. Click this link, ITT, to see the latest update.  

CLICK HERE for The Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education in CA, to follow their alerts and updates

Marinello Schools of Beauty and Corinthian Colleges

With the closure of the Marinello Schools of Beauty and the Corinthian Colleges, students may consider attending San Diego City College to continue their education. Please see the links to the right for information about applying for and receiving financial aid from our school. You will need to add San Diego City College, school code 001273 to your FAFSA application so we can receive your information and determine if you will be eligible for aid from our school.

Loans received at Marinello Schools and Corinthian and Federal Loan Discharge
Students who were enrolled at the time the colleges closed are eligible for a loan discharge as long as they don't transfer any units into their new college.

It is important for former Marinello Schools and Corinthian students to understand their rights for federal loan discharges. The Attorney General’s Office has set up an online information center for students that appear to have some good resources, link provided below:

"Before you enroll in a new school, you should speak to the financial aid office about how transferring credits might affect your eligibility for a closed school discharge."

Also see,

Frequently Asked Questions
Will you be eligible for a closed school loan discharge?
You may be eligible for a 100% discharge of Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans, or Federal Perkins Loans you received to attend any school under either of these circumstances:

  • Your school closes while you're enrolled, and you do not complete your program, either at the closed school or another school. If you were on an approved leave of absence when the school ceased operations, you are considered to have been enrolled at the school when it closed.
  • You stopped attending your school within 120 days before it closed.

You are not eligible for discharge of your loans if your school closes and any of the following is true:

  • You have completed all the course work for the program, even if you have not received a diploma or certificate.
  • You stopped attending more than 120 days before the school closed.
  • You enroll in and you complete a comparable educational program at another school and receive credits for the classes you took at the closed school. However, if you enroll in this comparable program and complete it, but the new school does not give you credit for any coursework completed at the closed school, you would be eligible for a closed school discharge.

Should I transfer my credits?
It is up to you, the student, to determine if you should transfer your credits to a new school or not. If you do decide to transfer your credits to our school, you will not be eligible for a loan discharge. Please keep in mind, you need to make a comparison to determine what is best for you.
You need to compare:

  1. The number of credits you can transfer to our school and the amount of loans you will still be responsible for paying back, versus
  2. The total cost of redoing those credits at our school and the amount of federal loans that might be eligible for a closed school discharge.

In addition, your closed school should do a final reconciliation with the U.S. Department of Education to determine if any of the financial aid disbursed or received on your behalf must be returned. Once the funds are returned, we will be able to determine if you are eligible to receive Federal financial aid at our school.

More Info from 

This page was last updated on September 1, 2016