- American Sign Language
- Animal Health Technology
- Associate of Arts Degree: Art History
- Associate of Arts Degree: Ceramics Emphasis
- Associate of Arts Degree: Digital Art Emphasis
- Associate of Arts Degree: Museum Studies
- Associate of Arts Degree: Photography and New Genres Emphasis
- Associate of Arts Degree: Three-Dimensional Emphasis
- Associate of Arts Degree: Two-Dimensional Emphasis
- Associate in Arts for Transfer Degree: Art History
- Associate in Arts for Transfer Degree: Studio Arts
- Certificate of Performance: Fine Art
- Certificate of Performance: Museum Studies
- Astronomy (Courses Only)
- Black Studies
- Building Construction Technology
- Business Administration
- Business Management
- Chicana and Chicano Studies
- Child Development
- Communication Studies
- Computer Business Technology
- Computer and Information Sciences
- Culinary Arts/Culinary Management
- Dental Assisting
- Dietetic Service Supervisor
- Dramatic Arts
- Environmental Design Studies
- Exercise Science
- Associate of Science Degree: Fashion Design
- Associate of Science Degree: Fashion Merchandising
- Associate of Science Degree: Computer Fashion Technology: Design
- Associate of Science Degree: Computer Fashion Technology: Merchandising
- Certificates of Achievement: Fashion Design
- Certificates of Achievement: Fashion Merchandising
- Certificates of Achievement: Computer Fashion Technology: Design
- Certificates of Achievement: Computer Fashion Technology: Merchandising
- Fermentation Management
- Geographic Information Systems
- Health Information Technology
- Interior Design
- Liberal Arts
- Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Liberal Studies
- Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science Degree: Multimedia
- Certificate of Achievement: 3D Animation and Modeling
- Certificate of Achievement: Interactive Media Production
- Certificate of Performance: Digital Video
- Certificate of Performance: Flash
- Certificate of Performance: Multimedia Survey
- Certificate of Performance: New Media Publishing
- Certificate of Performance: Video Game Development
- Physical Sciences
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Political Science
- Radiologic Technology
- Real Estate
- Requirements for the Associate Degree
- Retail Management
- Social Sciences
- Teacher Education
- Web Development
- Women's Studies
On the recommendation of the faculty, the colleges of the San Diego Community College District award the Associate of Arts degree or the Associate of Science degree.
The Associate of Arts degree is awarded in the social sciences, humanities, the arts, and similar disciplines. The Associate in Science degree is awarded in engineering, physical and biological sciences, and occupational curricula.
Proactive award Degree
Students who have an official education plan on file and meet degree requirements may be awarded an associate degree.
All Degrees Have the Following Requirements in Common
Minimum Units in Residence
A minimum of 12 degree applicable units must be completed in residence at the college granting the degree.
The 12-unit in residence requirement is effective for all degrees awarded regardless of catalog year.
Major/area of Emphasis Requirements
- Eighteen semester units or more are required.
- Six semester units must be completed at City, Mesa, or Miramar College. Refer to the Degree Curricula and Certificate Programs section of this catalog for specific requirements for each major.
- Only one course in a student’s major discipline may be used to meet the San Diego Community College District’s general education requirements with the exception of Liberal Arts and Sciences and AA-T and AS-T degrees.
Recency of coursework limitation:
Academic departments may require that courses for the major be completed within a specified period of time prior to the granting of the Associate Degree, Certificate of Achievement, or Certificate of Performance. Students with questions about the applicability of previous coursework are advised to consult the Department as early as possible.
Associate in Arts for Transfer (aa-t) or Associate in Science for Transfer (aS-t) for California State University (CSU)
The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Each AA-T or AS-T is accepted by some but not all CSU campuses. Students transferring to a CSU campus that does accept the AA-T or AS-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree in that major. Please see a counselor and www.ADegreeWithAGuarantee.com for more information.
Students intending to transfer to a CSU should consult a counselor and visit www.assist.org for guidance on appropriate transfer coursework.
- • Anthropology for Transfer (page 148)
- • Art History for Transfer (page 156)
- • Business Administration for Transfer (page 167)
- • Communication Studies for Transfer (page 177)
- • Geography for Transfer (page 209)
- • History for Transfer (page 212)
- • Journalism for Transfer (page 221)
- • Kinesiology for Transfer (page 198)
- • Mathematics for Transfer (page 253)
- • Physics for Transfer (page 269)
- • Political Science for Transfer (page 271)
- • Psychology for Transfer (page 274)
- • Sociology for Transfer (page 282)
The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees:
- Maximum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some CSU campuses and majors may require a higher GPA. Please see a counselor for more information.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an “AA-T” or “AS-T” major (see list above). All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE; see page 123 for more information); OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum pattern (IGETC; see page 115 for more information).