San Diego Mesa College
Collaborate. Innovate. Lead.
San Diego Mesa College has a vibrant and productive participatory governance. When you take an active role in the committees which are part of this governance, you become stewards of our resources and advance effective practices in support of accountability. This is an opportunity to share ideas, collaborate with colleagues and support innovation in our goal of becoming the leading college of equity and excellence. These roles strengthen leadership and provide learning pathways that enhance your work life.
You are encouraged to be involved, share your knowledge and become part of the leadership that guides our campus toward success. Committee service also supports a commitment to professional development. Professional growth is supported when you arrange committee service into your work schedule. Because these committees are important to our college mission, vision and values, we allow flexibility and time for service on these committees.
These committees are all different in the work they do, but all committees support the same goal. We are all called to be a resource in different ways and we welcome your exploration and desire to build and sustain a sense of the community. Please view opportunities for service:
College Governance Committees are designed to make decisions and then recommendations directly to President’s Cabinet and the President. Governance Committees often represent operational committees through the governance process and they are represented by faculty, students, staff and administration. Through this inclusive representation all stakeholders have the opportunity to take part in the decision making process.
View All Governance Committees
Operational Committees are designed to make recommendations through the college governance process. As a result of those recommendations, operational committees are also charged with carrying into effect the mission, vision and values of Mesa College. This work is determined through recommendations which have been approved by the appropriate governing body. Operational committees report through a governance committee or council or through the functional area to which they report. Through this process they are represented at President’s Cabinet where final decisions are made.
View All Operational Committees
Committee Governance Cycle
It is recommended that committees perform certain tasks during each academic year:
- Re-confirm membership, noting Chairs and constituent designation (i.e. Faculty, Classified, Student)
- Review yearly outcomes/goals and status from previous academic year and set desired outcomes/goals for current year
- Review purpose and membership and make any changes necessary. Note: Changes approved by the committee will also need to be approved by the committee’s reporting body.
- Update committee website with approved changes
- Report on the committee’s outcomes/goals for the ending academic year
- Outline membership for the upcoming academic year
- Establish new calendar of meetings including day, time and location