Veterans Educational Benefits
The San Diego Mesa College Veterans Office offers assistance with applying for education benefits. The following educational benefits are available to veterans and dependents at Mesa College:
- Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill)
- Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill - Transfer of Entitlement)
- Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty)
- Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation): Veterans who qualify for educational benefits as disabled veterans may be entitled to special educational benefits. Veterans should visit the Veterans Administration Regional Office, 8810 Rio San Diego Dr, San Diego, CA 92108, to determine their eligibility for disabled status (telephone: 1.800.827.1000).
- Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill - Reservists)
- Chapter 1607 (Montgomery GI Bill - Reserve Educational Assistance Program)
- Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance)
- Active Duty Tuition Assistance: contact your military educational office.
- California Veterans Fee Waiver Program (Dependents of Veterans with a Service-Connected Disability): Children and spouses of U.S. Veterans with service connected disabilities may be eligible for waiver of college fees and/or for a small monthly payment. For more information see the Veterans Affairs Office in the modular village MV- 7. Telephone(619) 388 - 2805.
Service members, veterans and dependents who want to use their federal VA educational benefits while enrolled at Mesa College must submit a Statement of Understanding and current semester worksheet for term of enrollment. Please follow these steps:
Come in person to MV - 7 Veterans Office to pick up the Statement of Understanding form, and current semester worksheet which can be completed electronically.
1. After responding to each category,
2. PRINT the agreement.
3. SIGN the document.
4. DELIVER completed forms to the Mesa College Veterans Office.
Please note that in order for a student to use their benefits while attending Mesa College, the student must be a regularly matriculated student and all classes taken must be required for the educational objective selected.
New in Fall 2009, the Mental Health Worker Certificate program*
The following certificate program is being offered this fall:
Certificate of Achievement - Mental Health Worker Certificate*with an emphasis in Mental Health-or-Acquired Brain Injury (ABI)
This program provides students, and especially veterans, with skills to find employment in a wide variety of fields such as chemical dependency treatment, youth work, community corrections, developmental disabilities, case management, and older adult programs, working with the mentally ill and child welfare. The required fieldwork portion of this program provides excellent opportunities for finding employment through networking with other professionals.
For more information call 619-388-2991 or visit the Counseling Center, I-430.
*Pending State approval by the California Community College Chancellor's Office.
Military Spouse Program
This program does not include Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts
Military Spouse Program contacts at San Diego Mesa College are:
Counselor Leroy Johnson
Dean Joi Blake
Veteran Dependent Exemption
Children and spouses of U.S. Veterans with service connected disabilities may be eligible for waiver of college fees and/or for a small monthly payment. For more information see the Veterans Affairs Office on campus. (telephone 619 - 388 - 2805).