Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need a job or internship before I attend the orientation?

A: Yes.  You can enroll while you are looking for a job or internship, but you need to have it in place at the beginning of the session.

Q: Does Work Experience find a job or internship for me?

A: In most cases, no.  Some program-specific courses, such as Fashion, Interior Design, or GISG, provide a list of potential internship sites from the department or instructor.  Another resource for potential jobs/internships is the Career Center at Mesa in I4-306, or (619) 388-2777.  There is an online job board or students:

Q: How do I enroll in Work Experience?

A: Just as for other classes, register through Reg-E up to the first day of the semester.  Fashion 270, Interior Design 270 and GISG 270 courses require add codes to register so you will need to contact the instructor listed in the schedule.  You are required to attend a mandatory orientation.  The schedule for orientations is listed on the webpage.

Q: Can I enroll after the semester has begun?

A: Yes.  Students can enroll within the first week after the semester has begun by contacting the course instructor for an add code.

Q: Can Work Experience be taken more than once?

A: Yes.  Students may repeat Work Experience courses up to the lifetime maximum of 16 units.  All types of Occupational Work Experience courses (including program specific 270 courses) are counted in the lifetime maximum credit limit.  Students may enroll in only one (1) Occupational Work Experience 270 (including program specific 270 courses) course per semester.

Q: I do unpaid/volunteer work.  Can I enroll in Work Experience?

A: Yes.  Credit can be earned in the program regardless of whether your work is paid or unpaid, as long as you meet the program requirements.

Q: What takes place in the Orientation?

A: During the orientation, you review the course syllabus, complete forms required by the State, and prepare some documents for the site visits.  In addition, you will begin developing three learning objectives that you will transfer to a Training Agreement once these have been reviewed by your instructor and work supervisor.  You only need to attend one orientation.

Q: The semester has begun and I want to change the Work Experience course or the number of units, what do I do?

A: It is the student's responsibility to contact Admissions to make changes in the type of course or the number of units.  You will need an add code for the new course from the course instructor.

Q: Can I change jobs during the semester?

A: Yes.  You are allowed to change jobs/internships one time during the semester, and you must coordinate this with your instructor.

Q: If I change jobs, what do I need to do?

A: Notify your instructor when you are going to change jobs.  You will need to get your Work Record signed by your supervisor and both you and your supervisor need to rate your objectives.  A new Student Application and Training Agreement will need to be completed for the new job.  Be sure to record your work hours at the new job on a new Work Record.

Q: Can I use hours from two jobs to meet the minimum required hours?

A: You can use the hours from two jobs, but you must complete forms during orientation for both positions.  You cannot turn in hours from a paid and a non-paid position during the same course.

Q: Do I need to work the same number of hours each week?

A: No.  You must meet the minimum required work hours for the course, but the number of hours per shift or per week can vary.

Q: May I count vacation and holiday time as part of my required work hours?

A: No.  While you can, record hours worked whether you are working on your objectives or not, you may not count hours in which you are not participating in work activities.

Q: Do I need an email account to use in this course?

A: Yes, you should get an email account.  Even though this is not an online course, much of the instructor/student communication is done through email.  If you do not have a computer at home, you can use the computers in the LRC or Public Library to check your email.  You can establish a free email account through a number of providers including:;;

Q: I need to make changes to the objectives on the Training Agreement after the first site visit.  What do I do?

A: Discuss the changes with your supervisor and contact your instructor immediately.

Q: Are there special guidelines for International Students?

A: International Students should attend the Practical Training Workshop prior to enrolling in any Work Experience course.  Contact the International Student Advisor at (619) 388-2672 for more information

Q: What must I do if I need to drop the course?

A: Notify your instructor that you will be dropping the course.  The instructor will work with you to resolve problems, if possible.  If you decide to drop the course, it is your responsibility to initiate and complete the withdrawal procedure.

If you need additional information, contact the Dean, School Health Sciences/Public Service at (619) 388-2789.