The San Diego Mesa College Chemistry Department offers several levels of chemistry courses ranging from introductory level courses for nonscience majors to majors level chemistry. The student population in the courses is very diverse as well. For this reason, the mission of the San Diego Mesa College Chemistry Department is three-fold and as follows:
- To prepare transfer students for upper division science courses.
- To prepare students for jobs or careers in the sciences and health industries.
- To provide a basic understanding of scientific principles to prepare students to make informed decisions about issues they will face as responsible citizens.
- Communication: Demonstrates ability to report scientific information appropriately.
- Critical Thinking: Utilizes the scientific method to analyze and interpret data.
- Technology awareness: Investigates questions utilizing modern and appropriate tools.
- Personal responsibility: Comes prepared for class and does assigned work thoughtfully.
- Environmental responsibility: Demonstrates understanding of impact of chemistry on environment and society.