General Education (GE) is one of the key components of earning your Associate degree or transferring to a four-year institution. A GE certification is an official document from SDCCD which certifies that a student, who is transferring to a four year institution, has met the requirements of a particular GE pattern.
Two types of GE patterns for certification
- Intersegmental General Education Transfer Pattern (IGETC) – This pattern can be certified for transfer to the University of California (UC) or California State University (CSU) system. Click to view current IGETC Pattern.
- California State University General Education (CSUGE) – This pattern can only be certified for transfer to the CSU system. Click to view current CSU GE Pattern.
Requirements for GE Certification
- A request for certification can only be submitted once a student has been accepted to a transferring university.
- All transcripts from previous colleges and universities attended must be on file. See the Transcript section for detailed information.
- Students with AP/IB/CLEP exams must submit scores if they are using them to meet requirements. Information on the use of Standardized Tests scores for credit and certification requirements can be found in the catalog.
- If students using high school coursework to satisfy the UC IGETC Certification foreign language requirement those high school transcripts must be on file. Unofficial transcripts can be accepted.
- If students have had two years of formal schooling at the sixth grade level or higher in an institution where the language of instruction is not English, they may also satisfy the UC IGETC Certification foreign language requirement by providing official or unofficial transcripts from that school.
How to request a GE Certification
- Students who need certification of completion of lower-division general education requirements for transfer to UC or CSU, must complete the Request for Certification.
Where to request a GE Certification
- The Campus Evaluations office in I4-306 (Third Floor, Student Services Building), OR
- Save this General Education Certification request form to your desktop, complete it, and email back to MesaEvaluations@sdccd.edu.
- Requests can take up to two weeks for processing. As a result, we recommend certifications be requested at least two weeks prior to the deadline of the transferring institution.
- Students should plan ahead to ensure that they submit their GE certification requests early.
- Once the certification is processed, the original certification is sent to the University and address indicated on the request form.
- In order for students to meet the UC IGETC Certification deadline, students must submit their requests to the college Evaluations Office by June 15th.