2019 Commencement Ceremony
Saturday, May 18, 2019 @ 3pm
Jenny Craig Pavilion, University of San Diego
Address: 5998 Alcalá Park San Diego, CA 92110
Commencement vs. Graduation
A commencement ceremony is often referred to as "Graduation", but they are not always the same thing. For San Diego Mesa College, the commencement ceremony is the end-of-year celebration in May for students that have completed or are expected to complete their graduation requirements. Students that completed their graduation requirements in the prior Fall or Summer semesters can also participate in the May commencement ceremony.
Student do not receive their diplomas at the commencement ceremony. Diplomas for summer, fall, and spring graduates are mailed directly to the students after they complete their graduation process.
Graduation, on the other hand, is a multiple step process of developing an educational plan, completing your course requirements, and submitting a Petition for Graduation.
The term in which you have officially and successfully completed all of your graduation requirements is when you graduate. Once your final grades are posted, your academic records will be evaluated to determine if you completed all requirements and your diploma will be sent to you by mail to the address listed on Reg-E. Check out the Before You Can Graduate page for a step by step process to graduating.
Commencement invitations, which will include required registration information, will be mailed to you beginning late March (for Summer 2018 & Fall 2018 graduates) through mid-April (for Spring 2019 graduates) to your mailing address on file. If your mailing address has changed, please be sure to update your information on Reg-e.
Upon receipt of your Commencement invitation, graduates will be able to register online for the May 2019 commencement ceremony through the registration link provided in the invitation.
Commencement is free for students and guests to attend. However, tickets are required for entrance to the Commencement Ceremony for guest ages three (3) years old and older. Ticket information and distribution will be available in late February. For a Commencement Checklist (including ticket distribution), click here. If you have additional questions regarding the ceremony, please call the Evaluations Office at 619-388-2680.
For more information about the Day of the Mesa Commencement Ceremony, click here.
Commencement Student speaker Applications
The San Diego Mesa College Commencement Speaker Selection Committee is looking for an outstanding graduating student to be the commencement speaker for the 2018 Mesa College Commencement Ceremony. That student could be you!
This is your chance to represent the 2018 graduating class, and to share your journey and insights with fellow graduating students. Additionally, the student chosen to speak at the graduation will be awarded a $100 stipend!
To Apply Visit: TBA
Application Due: TBA
Commencement Updates & Reminders
Don't miss important Commencement details and reminders. Sign-up for text message updates and reminders to get information about the ceremony updates/changes, reminders for graduates, parking updates for guests, etc.
Click Here to Sign-Up NOW for updates and reminders.
Upcoming Petition for Graduation Deadlines
- February 14, 2019 - Deadline to file a Petition for Graduation for students transferring to a CSU in Fall 2019 who are completing an Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or an Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T). Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT).
- March 22, 2019 - Deadline to file a Petition for Graduation and ensure their name will be included
in the commencement program.
**Students filing after this date but before April 30, 2019 will still be Spring 2019 graduates, but their name may not be in the Commencement Program.**
- April 30, 2019 - Deadline to file a Petition for Graduation and be a Spring 2019 graduate. Students filing after this date will be Summer graduates.
- July 31, 2019 - Deadline to file a Petition for Graduation and be a Summer 2019 graduate. Students filing after this date will be Fall 2019 graduates.
- March 23, 2018 - Deadline to file a Petition for Graduation for Spring 2018 and ensure your name will be included in the 2018 Commencement Program.
- April 30, 2018 - Deadline to file a Petition for Graduation and be a Spring 2018 graduate. Students filing after this date will be Summer 2018 graduates.
- July 31, 2018 - Deadline to file a Petition for Graduation and be a Summer 2018 graduate. Students
filing after this date will be Fall 2018 graduates.
Apply to graduate online on E-Grades - Online Petition for Graduation
San Diego Mesa College Alumni
you will BEcome part of thousands of Mesa Alumni!
- Learn more about registering for Alumni information at alumni.sdccd.edu/