- WE Class List
- Steps to Enroll
- Application Resources
- WE Toolkit - Forms
- Internship Preparation Help
- Frequently Asked Questions
Shawn Fawcett, MS
Gaining real-world experiences to prepare for future career options!
Work Experience is the academic support component to an internship which may or may not be directly related to an occupational goal. While students learn new skills and gain real-world experiences they are able to be supported by faculty. Students interested in work experience must have an internship first and complete some requirements prior to receiving an ADD code to enroll in work experience. Work experience credit is earned based on 75 hours of paid work/internship or 60 hours of unpaid work/internship per unit the student is enrolled.
Have an internship, job, or volunteer position secured and want to receive college credit for your hands-on experience? Complete the Work Experience Application to be considered for enrollment this semester.
Are you interested in taking a WE course? Review the Work Experience: Steps to Enroll to learn about the process and requirements to apply for Work Experience at Mesa College.
Questions? Please contact the Work Experience Coordinator, Shawn Fawcett, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
NOTE: The Work Experience process has changed from paper to online forms. Please review the Steps to Enroll below for requirements to receive an ADD code and online form links.
WORK EXPERIENCE COURSES:
Earn college credit for work/internships (in or out of your field of study)
Paid, unpaid, or volunteer placements are eligible
Many Work Experience courses are associated with certificate and degree requirements
CSU-Transferable - Complete and use units towards transfer requirements
GENERAL WORK EXPERIENCE EDUCATION (WORK 272):
Supervised employment which is intended to assist students in acquiring desirable work habits, attitudes and career awareness. The Work experience does not have to be related to the students' educational goal (Title 5 section 55252)
OCCUPATIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE EDUCATION (270):
Supervised employment extending classroom based occupational learning at an on-the-job learning station relating to the students' educational or occupational goal. Work Experience 270 can be discipline specific (Title 5 section 55252)
Work Experience Steps to enroll:
To be eligible to obtain an add code/permission #, students must complete the following requirements:
- Be a current Mesa College student (Apply online at http://www.sdmesa.edu/apply/)
- Secure a job, internship, or volunteer position (Paid or Unpaid)
- Watch the Work Experience Orientation and complete the Orientation Quiz (Upload into WE Application)
- Complete Part 1 of the Sexual Harassment Prevention Training (All sections and exam - Upload into WE Application)
- Complete the online Work Experience Application (Note: Spring 2020 WE Application will be available in late November or early December. Please check website to complete.)
- Completion of Employer Agreement by Site Supervisor (emailed to Site Supervisor automatically once student WE Application has been submitted)
- Child Development Immunization Verification - Only required of students interested in enrolling in co-requistes CHIL 270 (CRN # 94864) and CHIL 151 (CRN # 82921). These class sections must be taken together.
- Attend mandatory in-person orientation with Work Experience Instructor
Questions? Please contact the Work Experience Coordinator, Shawn Fawcett, at email@example.com or attend a Work Experience Workshop for more information.