For faculty ease of use, we have gathered our handouts, videos, articles and presentations on this page.
Additionally there is information for faculty to access the services of the Career Center.
We are always looking for new resources, so please share.
Handouts | Resources
Are you looking for a career development assignment for your students? Look no further. Using this simple assignment template and students can perform relevant career research using the Career Center website. If you need assistance, please contact the career center.
What can I do with a Major in...CTE Programs
The Career Center offers three career assessments. Staff determines, through a series of inquiry, which assessment process is appropriate for the student at the time of assistance. Description of these assessments are listed below:
- The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment is the most widely used personality assessment in the world. With a proven record of reliability spanning more than 50 years, it offers a foundation for understanding individual differences and applying that understanding to the ways people think, communicate, and interact. Versatile and dependable, the MBTI tool sets the stage for lifelong learning and development.
Below our supporting career assessment materials. If you would like MBTI type materials, please contact the Career Center.
Using the online Vocational Biographies available through the LRC, students can search occupations by Holland code!
- Advanced Technological Education Television : on-line video series with up to the minute information connecting students with education and employment opportunities
- California Career Cafe : California Community Colleges Virtual Career Center
- Career One Stop : National pathways to career success that include: exploring careers, salary and benefits, education and training, job search, resume and interviews, unemployment, disability and employment, veterans services.
- California Careers : California resources for students to develop career self-management skills necessary in today's world of work. Fun, easy and free!
- Who Do You Want 2 B : California community college courses, career options, and financial assistance.
- Career-Technical Pathways in the San Diego Community College District : California community college courses, career options, and financial assistance.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics : Nation-wide resources to explore careers.
- BrainTrack : Global Career Research
- CA Employment Development Department : Labor Market Information
- California Career Zone: Assessment, Explore Industries, Reality Check
- Career Guide to Industries
- Informational Interview
- Professional Organizations
- Trade journals associated with a career fields
An internship opportunity focuses on providing meaningful field experience that is structured around a specific major or field of study and directly complements classroom learning. Details can be found on the Internship page.
Current Mesa College students can email their resumes to the Career Center. A career counselor will review the resume and email students with feedback. In some instances, students may be recommended to come in for a resume appointment. Email resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org . The email must include the student's CSID and the job they are searching for. We can accept attachments in PDF, Word, or Text formats. Resume review is approximately a one week turn around. Mesa College enrollment is verified.
Job Connect is the official student employment system for students in the san Diego Community College District. Employers who post jobs and internship are looking for college students within SDCCD. This provides students with distinct opportunities. It is free to use, all students need is their CSID. Job Connect
Career Services for Classroom Instructors
Do you want to include a required or extra credit career assignment for your course? We can help!
The Career Center is available to provide assistance in designing your assignment so that your students receive the career tools and assistance they need to meet your designed outcomes. Please contact us at 619-388-2777, email@example.com or stop by the Career Center in I4-306.
When developing an assignment, please keep in mind:
- The Career Center is open: Monday - Thursday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, and Friday from 8:00 am – 12:00 pm.
- The career assessment process has two parts. A walk-in component for the assessment (1½ hrs). A group appointment for the interpretation (1hr).
- Some services are only offered by group or workshop.
- The Career Center website www.sdmesa.edu/career-center provides numerous resources.
- In order to assist the number of classes who have Career Center assignments, please be sure to provide ample time for your students to complete their assignment (i.e. do not assign the project two weeks prior to the end of the session.)*
*It is the student's responsibility to plan ahead for and allow time to complete assignments. If a student waits until the last minute for services, resources and appointments may not be available to meet the assignment's due date. Appointments can be booked up to two weeks out.
Let Us Know:
To ensure that we have the necessary resources for your students and that we keep clear lines of communication, please provide information about your career center assignment and return to the Career Center.
- Instructor's Name
- Office #
- Mailbox #
- Course title
- Number of students
- Class schedule (day/time)
- Date assigned
- Date due
- Description of assignment (email syllabus or assignment handout if applicable). Please be sure to describe what outcome you want the students to achieve.
The Career Center can offer general or customized career workshops for your class.
Examples of presentation topics:
- 5 min presentation - Career Services Cliffnotes
- 3 min presentation - Career/Major Assessment & Exploration
- Unearthing Career Resources at Mesa College
- Job Searching
- Career Exploration
- Major Exploration (general or related to a specific discipline)
- Other career topics you would like presented
When contacting the Career Center, please let us know:
- What topic(s) you would like covered
- Your desired outcomes
- How long you would like the presentation
- Your Name
- Course title
- Number of students
- Class schedule (day/time)
- Classroom Location
Please contact Monica Romero , 619-388-2781 for classroom presentation requests.
Do you have a special career related project that you would like to partner with the Career Center?
Would you like the Career Center to come to a program, department or advisory committee meeting?
WE SAY YES!
Partnering with campus instructional programs and departments strengthens career services to students.
Please contact Monica Romero , 619-388-2781 to explore what we can accomplish together.
- Career Briefs - California Community Colleges Career Briefs links faculty, counselors and students
to the 21st century career and work-based learning information and activities
- QT - bi-weekly electronic newsletter to faculty and counselors with short, interactive activities for career and work-based learning skills
- Student Lessons - interactive online lessons for students that extend the QT information and activities. Student lessons can be used as part of a class or assigned to students for extra credit.
- Free Resources - interviews of successful work-based learning practices and Work-based Learning/Employment Services Advisory Committee resources and Information Career Articles
- National Association of Colleges and Employers - The National Association of Colleges and Employers connects campus recruiting and career services professionals, and provides best practices, trends, research, professional development, and conferences.
- UC Davis, Internship and Career Center Manual - great tools to help students.
- Vocational Information Center - Career Development Worksheets, Handouts and Workbooks
- College Affordability Guide - provides information that will help prospective students find and complete degrees based on rankings of affordability. In essence, helping students get the best value for their money. Institutions can be looked up based major and state.