The Center for Independent Learning (CIL), an instructional support facility is engaged in three missions to the Mesa College campus:
- To augment classroom instruction through individualized learning modules that students complete independently. Faculty may either select materials produced commercially or create their own with support from CIL equipment and staff. These may include a broad array of media formats ranging from collections to technology-enhanced learning modules.
- To provide assistance to faculty, in learning to use and apply computer-assisted instruction (CAI) in the classroom, such as Blackboard online virtual classroom. Faculty are assisted in designing and producing computer-based learning modules, presentations and/or multimedia, for use in classroom instruction, to be used independently by students in the Student Learning Center, or for delivery over the Internet.
- To provide assistance to Mesa College staff in learning how to use software applications that enhance efficiency and productivity in the workplace.
Faculty/Staff Computer Labs
LRC 422 provides the following computing equipment and services:
- 9 computers with Microsoft Window 7, 2 iMacs, 2 scanners, 1 slide scanner, 2 laser printers.
- Software support services to assist faculty with learning and using new programs to enhance their teaching
- MS Office 2010 applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Scanning and grade keeping software
- An Instructional designer from the SDCCD Online Pathways program is available at Mesa location to work with faculty on Blackboard on a weekly basis (Tuesdays from 1PM to 4 PM). Please contact Kathryn Palacios at 619-388-7327 for more information.
LRC 423 has 6 computers with the following software:
- Web design
- Video editing
- Course management systems
- Test bank
Services for Students
LRC 4000, The Center for Independent Learning (CIL) has the following resources that students may find useful:
- 120 yellow labeled computers with Microsoft Windows 7
- 8 blue labeled computers with specialized instructional software (Please ask your instructors for more details)
- 8 iMac computers
- 2 stand-alone work stations to run programs requiring software installation
- Microsoft Office 2010 applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Desktop Publishing
- Laser Printing
- Technical assistance from CIL staff