- Application Process
- Appeal Workshops
- CARES Act
- CARES Act Reporting
- Financial Assistance Grant
- Cost of Attendance
- Deadline Dates
- Experimental Site Initiative
- Employee Code of Conduct
- Online Resources
- Payment Disbursement Dates
- Programs Available
- Student Learning Outcomes
- Terms of Agreement
- Return to Title IV Policy
- Work Study
- Virtual Counter
Experimental Site Initiative
First Initiative (continued through academic year 2020/2021)
Effective with the 2012-2013 school year, San Diego Mesa College (along with City College and Miramar College) have been approved by the U.S. Department of Education to participate in an experimental initiative regarding "Over-borrowing" that allows our college to reduce or eliminate Unsubsidized Loan eligibility and borrowing for certain groups or categories of students.
The following groups or categories of students will not be eligible to borrow Unsubsidized Loans:
1. First (1st) Year students
• First (1st) year is defined as students who have completed less than 30 units in their current program or major based on their educational plan.
• Units that will be counted towards the 30 units will be units that fulfill the major, general ed and district requirements for the current program or major based on the educational plan.
• Units that will not be counted towards the 30 units are units that are basic skills or remedial, ESOL, electives or any other units that are not applicable to the current program or major based on the educational plan.
2. Students approved on Appeal
• Students who have an "Unsatisfactory" status for any reason and who are approved on appeal will not be eligible for an Unsubsidized Loan.
- Students accepted and actively enrolled in the Radiology Technology program at Mesa
- Non-Resident Students with no Pell Grant
- 3rd & 4th year Mesa’s Baccalaureate Degree students
REASONS FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE DIRECT LOAN UNSUBSIDIZED LOAN EXPERIMENTAL SITE INITIATIVE:
- Minimize the impact of excessive borrowing by at-risk students
- Reduce default
- Protect the participation in Federal and State grant programs that monitor loan borrowing and repayment behavior of
- Make California Community Colleges low cost institutions and the lowest cost public institutions in the
- Ensure students have access to loans after transferring to four year institutions
UNSUBSIDIZED Loan Request Steps - (2020-21) [NOTE: For a full Unsubsidized Loan application packet, please submit a request via email to email@example.com for a printable PDF. Once completed, you can mail it back with all required documents to San Diego Mesa College, Financial Aid Office, 7250 Mesa College Drive, I4-107, San Diego, CA 92111]
#2. Effective as of the 2017-2018 school year, San Diego Mesa College (along with Miramar College and City College) have been approved by the U.S. Department of Education to participate in a Direct Loan Experimental Site Initiative regarding "Over-borrowing" that allows our college to hold the loan disbursement until an additional loan counseling session is completed by the students included in the Treatment Group.
As part of the Experimental Site Initiative, loan applicant students will be randomly selected to be part of either the Treatment Group or the Controlled Group. You will receive an email notification with the information if any additional steps are required from you.
REASONS FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE DIRECT LOAN EXPERIMENTAL SITE INITIATIVE :
- To help student borrower understand the full extent of their responsibilities and
- To help students understand and access resources available when facing repayment
- To help students avoid defaulting on their federal student loans.
- To help students succeed in the achievement of their educational goal.
Loan Request - Student SUBSIDIZED (2020-21) -Printable PDF form to complete and mail in; or
-To process a student loan, students must complete a FAFSA, Entrance Counseling and EMPN AND as of July 1, 2013 ALL student borrowers will be required to submit an Official Student Education Plan. Please see Counseling for more information about getting an Official Student Educational Plan.)
-If you have been selected for Financial Awareness Counseling.
All Direct Loan information is current as of the date this is posted. Please check the Department of Education’s Direct Student Loan information on line regularly: www.studentloans.gov
updated August, 2020 ~sd