Graduation is not automatic upon completion of requirements. Students who expect to complete the requirements for an Associate Degree or Certificate of Achievement must file a Petition for Graduation form by the deadline for the semester of expected graduation.
- The Petition for Graduation form may be completed online at https://studentweb.sdccd.edu/e-grades or by meeting with a counselor.
For Certifiates of Performance, please see the section at the bottom of the page.
October 1, 2012
- Deadline to file a Petition for Graduation ONLY for students completing Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) in Communication Studies, Psychology or Sociology. (for Winter 2013 and Spring 2013 CSU Admissions)
November 15, 2012
- Deadline for students to file a Petition for Graduation and be a Fall 2012 graduate.
January 18, 2012
- Deadline for students to file a Petition for Graduation for Fall 2013 CSU Transfer with an AA-T/AS-T degree.
April 1, 2013
- Deadline for students to file a Petition for Graduation and ensure their name will be included in the commencement program.
April 30, 2013
- Deadline for students to file a Petition for Graduation and be a spring 2013 graduate. Students filing after this date will be summer 2013 graduates.
July 31, 2013
- Deadline for students to file a Petition for Graduation and be a summer 2013 graduate.
- All transcripts from other colleges attended must be on file prior to submitting the Petition for Graduation. **Transcripts may be waived for petition for a Certificate of Achievement if all coursework for the certification has been completed within the District. See Transcript section.
- Once the petition is submitted, an evaluation of all coursework will be completed.
- The graduation evaluation shows all requirements for degree/certificate completion and the courses that have been taken to fulfill those requirements. Any outstanding requirements are indicated and must be completed before the Associate Degree or Certificate of Achievement will be awarded.
- Note that 12 units required for the Associate Degree must be completed at the college granting the degree. Six of the 12 units must be in the major.
- Completion of a Degree or Certificate is posted on the official transcript within six weeks of the end of the semester
Graduation with honors distinction is based upon all coursework that is associate degree and lower division baccalaureate degree applicable or coursework applicable to the certificate of achievement.
- Honors is granted to students who achieve an overall 3.5 GPA.
- High Honors is granted to students who achieve an overall 3.75 GPA.
- Highest Honors is granted to students who achieve an overall 4.0 GPA.
Students will be notified that the honors distinction is pending at the time of the graduation ceremony, when the GPA is calculated based upon degree or certificate applicable coursework completed through the fall semester of the year of the ceremony. The final honors distinction will be determined upon completion of all coursework completed through the spring semester for spring graduates or the summer term for summer graduates and fall semester for fall graduates.
An honors notation is placed on the student's official transcript and diploma.
Students who maintain continuous enrollment may choose to graduate under the college catalog in effect at the time they began their studies in a California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus, or under the catalog in effect at the time of graduation.
Continuous enrollment is defined as attendance in one semester or two quarters (excluding summer) within a calendar year in the CSU, UC, or California Community College System.
Certification of a student's completion of CSU general education requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is not a graduation requirement. Therefore, students do not have catalog rights to a certification pattern used by a certifying institution or a CSU or UC campus.
A celebration of success! This important annual event takes place toward the end of the Spring semester for students who completed degree/certificate requirements in the prior Fall, current Spring or upcoming Summer sessions.
For commencement details please visit the commencement website at http://www.sdmesa.edu/commencement/.
Diplomas are automatically mailed to the address on file with the Evaluations Office within eight weeks of the end of the semester.
To order a duplicate copy of your diploma:
- Contact the Evaluations Office to verify degree/certificate completion.
- Complete the Processing Fees for Reissuing Diplomas form and take the form to the Accounting office to pay the $10 reissue fee.
- Return to the Evaluations Office with the form and proof of payment.
- Reissued diplomas take approximately three weeks for processing.
Certificates of Performance are departments awards and do not appear on student's transcripts.
Certificate of Performance Requirements:
- Students much achieve a grade of “C” or better in each of the required courses.
- Complete all required course work in the San Diego Community College District.
- Course substitutions or course equivalencies from other colleges may not be used to satisfy Certificate of Performance requirements.
Once a student has completed all requirements and all grades are officially posted, students may petition to receive their certificate of performance by visiting the Evaluations Office.