SPRING Intake Session 2013
Please click the headlines below one time to expand the information and a second time to collapse it back up again.
San Diego Mesa College
7250 Mesa College Drive Bldg. I4 Room 309
San Diego, CA 92111
Hours: Monday-Thursday 8:00am-5:00pm and Friday 8:00am-Noon
Purpose of On-Line Intake Session:
- To provide EOPS students the opportunity to complete intake session in a non-classroom setting.
- To provide EOPS program information for the current semester, including book voucher and grant information.
- To provide deadline dates for contact completion and progress reports.
Please read through each section thoroughly, as you will be required to complete the quiz at the end of the intake session.
- A Continuing student is defined as a student who has completed at least one semester of EOPS services.
- A New EOPS student is defined as a student who has never received EOPS services.
A reminder that both NEW & CONTINUING STUDENTS must have a current year application on file.
If you are not sure if you have a current application on file or if you are considered NEW or CONTINUING, please call the EOPS office at 619-388-2706 for clarification.
- Priority Registration! EOPS students can register before most other students. Check our office for dates.
- Book Vouchers (depending on available funding)
- EOPS cash grants (depending on available funding)
- Application fee waivers to CSU's and UC's
- Emergency Loans ($100.00 max per semester). (Depending on available funding)
- EOPS/CARE Club
- EOPS Scholarship and Mesa Scholarship assistance
- Individualized Education Plans and semester by semester long term planning
- Student Success Workshops
- STAR tutoring
- CARE program for single parents on CalWORKs
- Nominations to EOP programs at CSU's
Submit completed Progress Report by March 22, 2013
Make 4 contacts every semester: Contacts consist of one intake session, one workshop, and two counseling appointments by the required deadline of April 26, 2013.
- Workshop attendance is MANDATORY!
- Complete 12 units per semester. Less than 12 units requires a petition to be signed by you and your counselor.
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher.
- Update education plan/ long term plan.
- Participate in Academic Intervention as required by your counselor.
- Maintain at least 9 units at Mesa College for grant/book voucher eligibility.
Important information regarding grants: Due to budget cuts to the community colleges and to the EOPS Program, grants are not available at this time.
- Complete at least 9 units per semester at Mesa College.
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA in the previous semester.
- Complete 4 contacts: 1 intake, 2 counseling, 1 workshop by April 26, 2013
- Submit a completed Progress Report by March 22, 2013
- Recommend that you file a FAFSA application no later than March 2nd of each year.
- Have an unmet need as determined by Financial Aid.
- Not have completed more than 70 degree applicable units or received more than 6 semesters of EOPS services.
Due on March 22, 2013:
- All students are required to turn in a progress report by the designated deadline date each semester. Progress Reports must have signatures of all instructors for each class enrolled in for the semester.
- Failure to turn in a progress report could affect your eligibility for a grant at the end of the semester.
- Please click here to view and print your Progress Report.
You will be required to participate in Academic Intervention if your instructor indicates on your progress report that you are "below average" or if you need a tutor. Academic Intervention consists of:
- Turning in a progress report.
- If indicated that you are "below average" you will be required to make an appointment to see a counselor.
- Your counselor will review your progress report with you and determine what strategies need to be implemented in order to improve your current grade. If tutoring is required, you will be given information on accessing STAR, the Tutoring Center, or the Bridging Lab.
To qualify for CARE
- You must qualify for EOPS
- You must be single and the head of household
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a current recipient of/or have children receiving CalWORKs
- Be a parent or legal guardian of a least one child under 14.
- Be enrolled in at least 9 units at Mesa College
Please click here for more CARE information.
Click here for STAR Program information.
- Each semester, your assigned counselor will review your progress.
- If it is noted that you are on Program Probation or Program Disqualification, you will need to make an appointment to see your counselor.
You will be placed on probation by the EOPS Program if the following occurs:
- Your cumulative GPA and/or previous semester GPA is below a 2.0.
- You complete less than 9 units.
- You do not make 4 contacts by April 26, 2013.
- You do not submit your progress report by March 22, 2013.
- You do not comply with academic intervention.
You may be DISQUALIFIED from EOPS services for the following:
- GPA for 2 consecutive semesters falls below a 2.0.
- Less than 9 units completed for 2 consecutive semesters.
- Less than 4 contacts completed for 2 consecutive semesters.
- Failure to submit progress report for 2 consecutive semesters.
- More than 70 degree applicable units completed or 6 consecutive semesters of EOPS services, which ever comes first
Workshops are available throughout the semester. We encourage you to review the variety of workshops and attend those that you are interested in.
Attendance at one Workshop is MANDATORY for all students.
You may pick up a list of workshops at the front desk of the EOPS office after the 2nd week of the semester, which will be on or around February 11, 2013.
Please be aware that you MUST call or stop by the EOPS office at least one day in advance to sign up for the workshop of your choice.
The next step is to complete the Quiz. Please follow these important steps.
- Print EOPS Quiz (#16).
- Complete the quiz with name and CSID number on top.
- Return the completed quiz at one of the intake sessions (#17).
- When you turn in the quiz at the session, you will receive a book voucher contract to complete if funding is available.
Please print and complete this QUIZ
Bring quiz to one of the intake sessions listed on the next page.
You will need to sign up for one session.
Be sure to bring the Quiz with you to the intake session, as you will not be able to complete the intake session without the quiz!
CONTINUING STUDENT SESSIONS:
YOU CANNOT ATTEND AN INTAKE SESSION WITHOUT CALLING EOPS AT 619-388-2706 TO CONFIRM YOU ARE CONTINUING ELIGIBLE FOR SERVICES DURING THE CURRENT SEMESTER, ONCE CONFIRMED AN APPOINTMENT WILL BE MADE.
Failure to call EOPS first to confirm your eligibility will prevent you from participating during the session when you arrive.
You must be officially enrolled in courses for the current semester before attending a session.
You will be required to turn in your Quiz, sign the MRC, and sign the book voucher—if available.
Please call the EOPS office at 619.388.2706 to make your appointment to attend an intake session. KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE WALK-IN MEGA SESSIONS. YOU CAN ARRIVE ANYTIME WITHIN THE 2 HOURS. IT WILL TAKE APPROXIMATELY 10 MINS.
January 16th 1:00-3:00pm
January 17th 10:00-12:00pm Room T-1 (Bungalow next to old EOPS building)
January 22nd 2:00-2:30pm Room T-1 (Bungalow next to old EOPS building)
January 23rd 1:00-1:30pm Room T-1(Bungalow next to old EOPS building)
January 23rd 2:00-2:30pm Room T-1(Bungalow next to old EOPS building)
January 25th 11:00-11:30am Room T-1(Bungalow next to old EOPS building)
You must be enrolled for the current semester and make an appointment to attend an intake session, turn in the quiz, sign the MRC, and apply for the book voucher(if still available)
Please call the EOPS office at 619.388.2706 to make your appointment to attend an intake session.
January 14th 9:00-10:00am
January 14th 12:00-100pm
January 18th 9:00-10:00am Room T-1(Bungalow next to old EOPS building)
January 18th 10:00-11:00am Room T-1(Bungalow next to old EOPS building)
January 22nd 1:00-2:00pm Room T-1(Bungalow next to old EOPS building)
January 25th 9:00-10:00am
Book Vouchers are limited and available on a 1st come, 1st served basis. Due to budget cuts, book vouchers may not be available.
More detailed information will be available when you meet with an EOPS counselor during Intake Sessions
If found eligible and funds are available, you will be contacted with further instructions.
A reminder that you must meet the minimum requirements indicated on the book voucher contract in order to be eligible.
- Did you print the quiz, complete, and sign it?
- Did you schedule an intake session? Dates and times (#17).
- Did you print your progress report?
Once you have turned in your quiz at the intake session, you will receive credit for your First Contact.
After completing this process you will need to complete:
- One workshop and 2 additional counseling contacts by April 26, 2013
- Progress Report by March 22, 2013
Please contact the EOPS office at (619) 388-2706 if you have any questions regarding the Intake Session.