STEM Peer Mentor Contacts
STEM Peer Mentor Coordinator
HSI Title III Grant
WHAT'S A STEM PEER MENTOR?
STEM Peer mentors are enthusiastic and supportive students who are STEM majors, successful in their academic courses, actively engage in campus activities, and knowledgeable about the resources related to the subject they mentor.
- Students in Peer Mentor sessions receive combined assistance from Peer Mentors and Faculty Liaisons who work collaboratively with students outside of classroom time;
- Peer Mentor sessions are concept-based rather than specific problem based (e.g. A Math Tutor may spend 5 minutes helping a student who is stuck on Math 150 homework, whereas a Peer Mentor will be reviewing all topics in chapter 3 of Math 150).
- Peer Mentors have pre-made review materials that were created by their Faculty Liaisons that they can walk students through;
- Peer Mentors work in higher level subjects (typically 150-200+ level);
- Peer Mentors focus on only one or two courses, and are specialists in them. Peer Mentors offer tips on how to study for tests, read the textbooks, manage study time, prepare study guides, etc. (e.g. David is a Math tutor, Marcel is a MATH 150 Peer Mentor).
- Peer Mentor Faculty Liaisons work individually with Peer Mentors on a weekly basis to help them prepare their weekly sessions with students.
STEM PEER MENTOR schedule
- Spring 2020 Peer Mentoring Program Feedback Survey
- Fall 2019 Peer Mentoring Program Feedback Survey
- Spring 2019 Peer Mentoring Program Feedback Survey
- Spring 2019 Peer Mentoring Program Outcomes Report
The San Diego Mesa College STEM Peer Mentoring program is aimed to help students develop and support STEM related studying and time management skills, while promoting collaborative peer mentoring related to STEM discipline and career.
about the program
The STEM Peer Mentoring program was piloted in the Fall of 2018 with the goal of supporting STEM students in the STEM courses that have low success rates such as BIO 210A, CHEM 200, PHYS 195, and MATH 150. In the Spring 2019 we are expanding program to offer mentoring for PHYS 196, MATH 151 and MATH 252. The STEM Peer Mentoring program aims to build a community of STEM majors and faculty that can support each other in their academic and professional goals. The intended outcome of this program is that students are more successful in their STEM classes and successfully move forward along their STEM pathway with increased confidence and motivation. Our program plays an important role in student success and equity at San Diego Mesa College.
The STEM Peer Mentoring program brings together a STEM faculty from each discipline, students that have successfully completed their course (STEM Peer Mentors) and students currently enrolled in the class (mentees).
Our goal is to increase course completion rates and persistence of STEM students by giving students a more in-depth approach to higher education, which will result in increased confidence, motivation and students being better equipped to identify what they need to be successful. In addition, the STEM Peer Mentoring Program will guide students in forming an identity as a STEM scholar participating in a larger STEM community of scientists, academics and researchers.