- Accelerated College Program
- Allied Health
- American Indian Studies
- American Sign Language
- Animal Health Technology
- Architecture and Environmental Design
- Asian American Studies
- Art & Fine Art
- Arts & Languages (School)
- Black Studies
- Building & Construction Technology
- Business & Technology (School)
- Chicano Studies
- Child Development
- Communication Studies
- Computer Business Technology
- Computer Information Science
- Culinary Arts
- Dental Assisting
- Digital Technology
- Dramatic Arts
- Exercise Science
- Geographic Information Systems
- Health Information Technology
- Health Information Management
- Health Sciences & Public Service (School)
- Humanities (School)
- Interior Design
- Liberal Arts
- Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Liberal Studies
- Mathematics & Natural Sciences (School)
- Medical Assisting
- Physical Science
- Physical Sciences
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Political Science
- Radiologic Technology
- Real Estate
- Social Behavioral Sciences & Multicultural Studies (School)
- Social Sciences
- Teacher Education
- Web Development
Experience the Joy of Making a Difference
– Become a Teacher
The San Diego Mesa College Teacher Education Program offers students who want to become elementary, middle and high school teachers the support and guidance necessary to follow this Teacher Education Pathway. Currently, in California and nationally, schools are experiencing a shortage of bilingual, Spanish/English biliterate teachers with an emphasis on Special Education, Math, or the Sciences.
The DEBER Scholars Program prepares linguistically and culturally diverse students to become teachers who wish to teach in school districts throughout San Diego County.
What does it mean to be a DEBER Scholar?
- Have a desire to teach, inspire and change future students’ lives.
- Be a member of the Latinx/Chicanx/Hispanic community.
- Be interested in applying or planning to apply to San Diego State University’s Teacher Education majors.
- Plan to demonstrate Bilingual proficiency (through assessment) at some point in program.
What will I gain as a DEBER Scholar?
- Find your way | Find help navagating the Teacher Education path through the DEBER Scholar community.
- Build a learning community | Enjoy academic and social program activities.
- Access financial support | Receive a first-year stipend, with possible stipends in future years.
- Lift while climbing | Help future scholars on their path to becoming a teacher.
Prospective students who imagine a career teaching, inspiring, and changing future students’ lives, and who are bilingual, with developing Spanish/English biliteracy should consider applying to this program.
Convinced? Become a DEBER Scholar by emailing MesaTeacherEd@sdccd.edu and indicate your interest in the DEBER Scholars program.
Meet the 20/21 DEBER Scholars