Why We Are Great
Start your career and get your music education at San Diego Mesa College!
In our department you can...
- get free lessons on your instrument
- join a band, choir or orchestra
- perform around town
- write your own music
- make a portfolio
- learn about music technology
- record your music
- try out new musical instruments
- hear live diverse musical styles
- collaborate with other musicians and departments
- plan your transfer to a 4 year university
- prepare for work in the music entertainment industry
- get an Associates Degree
Why San Diego Mesa College Music Department is great...
- Classes are small - classes adapted to individual needs and learning styles.
- Teachers care about students and want to keep them engaged and in class.
- Faculty are accomplished professionals in their fields who have a focus and commitment on teaching.
- Classes are affordable - $46/unit (in-state) or $190/unit (out-of-state) at San Diego Mesa College vs. $1105/unit (in-state) or $3012/unit (out-of-state) at University of California, San Diego (including required fees) and $228/unit (in-state) or $372/unit (out-of-state) at San Diego State University.
- Classes are rigorous - you will be challenged and prepared for the world and university level work when you are finished.
- Classes are transferable.
- Standards are comparable or better than other San Diego colleges and universities.
- Classes are taught by faculty not grad students.
- Shared governance - teachers and administration are receptive to student input. We now have a Composition club - created and run by students.
- High quality online classes.
- Innovative programs - multimedia projects created in theory classes.
- Free tutors and office hours for students needing extra help.
- State-of-the-art studio with instruction and full student access.
- Weekly free concerts in diverse styles - world music, jazz, folk, experimental, classical, electronic.
- Mesa College is place where music gets made and played.
- Music students have use of the Mass Music Lab in C-108 to assist in learning and homework for Music Theory, Ear Training, and Music Technology courses