- About Work-Based Learning
- Employers & Community Partners
- WBL Glossary & Examples
- WBL Team/Contact Us
- WBL Events
- WBL Champions
- Career Center
Phone: (619) 388-2701
Work-Based Learning Coordinator
Phone: (619) 388-2734
Work-Based Learning Coordinator
Phone: (619) 388-2340
Phone: (619) 388-5072
Employment Engagement Coordinator
Phone: (619) 388-2701
Campus closure update:
Attention Students, Faculty, Employers & Community Partners the San Diego Mesa College campus is temporarily closed due to concerns about the spread of Coronavirus/COVID-19. For more information and updates, please visit the SDCCD Coronavirus news center here: https://www.sdccd.edu/coronavirus/index.aspx
During this time the Work-Based Learning department will continue to operate remotely at full capacity and will return to on-campus operations when we can all do so safely.
Please contact our coordinators directly during our normal business hours or email the WBL department at email@example.com for assistance.
The CARES Act Grant Application is now open for
Mesa College Students!
Through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, San Diego Mesa College is able to offer over $2.4 million in financial assistance to students in need.
The purpose of the funds is to award emergency financial aid grants to students for specific expenses that are a direct result of the disruption of campus operations due to COVID-19.
Please note the following:
-Students received information about the applications through their mySDCCD portal
-Eligible students will receive a $500 grant
-The deadline to apply is Monday, May 25, 2020
-For more information visit the following link - http://www.sdmesa.edu/financial-aid/cares-act.shtml
Students can apply for the grant at: https://bit.ly/sdccdcaresact
These funds are meant to help students pay costs for technology, health care, child care, course materials, rent, food, moving or other expenses incurred this semester.
NEED HELP FINDING VOLUNTEER, INTERNSHIP OR JOB OPPORTUNITIES?
Register for Job Network today and visit our regularly updated resource lists.
Use your CSID# to create your free account and get started. Job Network is the free online job board for San Diego Mesa College students and alumni. Whether you're a full or part-time student, you can rely on Job Network to connect you with employers.
Current Job Openings List:
Mesa College Work-Based Learning team has compiled a list of companies looking for immediate hires, please click current list to view available positions.
REMOTE JOBS List:
For a list of companies who are hiring for remote work opportunities, please see the following Excel list, click here.
For more information please access the Career Center at
Faculty, the WBL department is committed to continuing to Connect Students to Industry & Employers, Help Students Grow Their Technical & Professional Skills and to Support Students to Apply Learning Through Real-World Experiences, through distance learning.
Please contact our WBL coordinators today to begin implementing virtual activities in your online classrooms.
We would like to invite you to post your internship, services learning and job opportunities in our online student employment system, Mesa Job Network. Mesa College utilizes this platform as the primary resource to assist students in seeking internship and employment.
Please also contact the WBL Team if you’re interested in sharing your postings via faculty and/or campus flyer.
WHAT IS WORK-BASED LEARNING (WBL)?
San Diego Mesa College Work-Based Learning (WBL) supports a continuum of experiential learning strategies and activities designed to bridge students’ educational learning with valuable real-work experience. Students will gain progressive exposure and interactions with industries and employers to explore career opportunities and develop workplace skills.
PHASES OF WORK-BASED LEARNING AT MESA COLLEGE:
BENEFITS OF WORK-BASED LEARNING:
- Explore industries and career options
- Connect academic learning with real-world experiences
- Achieve motivation to learn, confidence in skills, and completion rates
- Engage and network with industry professionals
- Understand workplace expectations, create awareness of required training, and perform positive employment habits
- Gain relevant experience and develop in-demand technical skills and career competencies
- Integrate hands-on, work-related learning in academic instruction
- Prepare students to meet in-demand needs of labor market
- Grow the number of students who complete a certificate/degree, obtain sustainable employment with a livable wage, and/or transfer
- Promote faculty interaction with industry
- Support students in defining career goals, develop their motivation to learn, and enhance retention and academic success
- another bullet point
For Employers & Community Partners:
- Promote company brand awareness and share your story within the community
- Nurture student career exploration, emphasize desired skills and training, and increase interest in working for your company
- Gain access to a pipeline of qualified, motivated candidates to reduce recruitment costs and hiring risks
- Be involved in college curriculum development and collaborate with faculty to teach students desired industry skills
- Improve training programs and increase employee retention rates
Follow the WBL Team @SDMesaWBL for career updates and information about WBL activities at Mesa College!