- About Work-Based Learning
- Employers & Community Partners
- WBL Glossary & Examples
- WBL Team/Contact Us
- WBL Events
Work-Based Learning Coordinator
Phone: (619) 388-2734
Work-Based Learning Coordinator
Phone: (619) 388-2340
Phone: (619) 388-2777
internships & work experience for students:
San Diego Mesa College Internships is a comprehensive experiential learning resource to bridge student's academic learning with valuable real-world experience in their desired career field, developing hands-on skills under the guidance of faculty mentor(s) and community partners. Students can participate in an internship to ensure they've selected the right career path while checking out potential companies to work for!
prepare your students for internships:
Through hands-on work experience, students can explore a profession to decide if their elected career path is right for them without having to make a full commitment. As well, the internships offer community partners the talents and energy of students and reinforces the connection between Mesa College and the community. Below are some tips to help you prepare your student for internship opportunities:
- Communicate to your students about Work-Based Learning activities at Mesa College
- Facilitate a discussion to help your students define: internship goals; particular career interests; what they would like to obtain from this experiential learning opportunity; and type of organization/ industry they would like to work in
- Consider offering your students extra credit to motivate them to participate in career exploration activities
- Host Resume Preparation and Internship Searching workshops tailored to your class (Contact the WBL Team)
- Invite Career Center staff to talk about the Career Readiness Services they offer to students and community members
- Collaborate with Work-Based Learning Coordinators to invite Guest Speakers to your class
- Consider incorporating a Service Learning component to your courses
Work Experience Education (WEE) is a structured educational process that combines real-world work experiences gained by students with regular academic or vocational instruction and is considered to be an integral part of the community college curriculum.
General Work Experience Education (WORK 272) is supervised employment which is intended to assist students in acquiring desirable work habits, attitudes and career awareness. The Work experience does not have to be related to the students’ educational goal. Title 5 section 55252
Occupation Work Experience Education (270) is supervised employment extending classroom based occupational learning at an on-the-job learning station relating to the students’ educational or occupational goal. Work Expereince 270 can be discipline specific. Title 5 section 55252
Encourage your students to enroll in a Work Experience Course to provide support during their internships (optional - see Work Experience website for more details and additional steps)
resources for students to find AN INTERNSHIP:
Students can register for Job Network today! Students use their CSID# to create a free account to get started. Job Network is the free online job board for San Diego Mesa College students and alumni. Whether a full or part-time student, students can rely on Job Network to connect them with employers. Help your students find their next internship today!
Internship & Career Resources:
Check out the Career Center Internship Handbook for tips on finding and being successful in an internship.
Students can attend & participate in WBL and Career Center preparation workshops and events to support them through the process and become a standout applicant (ie: Resume, Job Search Strategies, Interview Preparation, Skills, etc.)
Career Peer Ambassadors:
Students can meet with a Career Peer Ambassador at the Career Center to receive help in creating or editing their resume. They can stop by for walk-in assistance from some of our student leaders who have been trained in career and resume preparation.
Invited for an Interview or Networking Event?
Always dress for success! The Stand is located on the second floor of the Student Services Building (I4-204). FREE food and professional clothing is offered to all students.
Follow the WBL Team @SDMesaWBL for career updates and information about WBL activities at Mesa College!