CULTURAL COMPETENCY TRAINING I
Presenter: Dr. Tanis King Starck, SDSU, College of Education
Sponsored by the Mesa College Committee for Diversity Action, Inclusion & Equity (CDAIE) and Learning Opportunities for Transformation (LOFT) Supported through Student Success & Equity
Training topics will include understanding bias, prejudice, race, racism, sexism, Micro-aggressions,
privilege, culture, diversity and inclusion, including the effects on individuals,
groups and institutions; will include self-examination.
Friday, Sept. 22, 2017, 9am – 1 pm Mesa College LOFT, LRC-435
Friday, Oct. 20, 2017, 9am – 1 pm Mesa College LOFT, LRC-435
Friday, Nov. 17, 2017, 9am – 1 pm Mesa College LOFT, LRC-435
Friday, Dec. 15, 2017, 9am – 1 pm Mesa College LOFT, LRC-435
Those who are chosen to attend are expected to attend ALL FOUR sessions to complete the training!
- Faculty, Staff & Administrators may apply
- Flex Credit available*
Note that Flex for the December workshop will be posted after the Fall reporting deadline. If you are adjunct faculty and were planning to use the December session to meet your Fall 2017 Flex requirement you will need to find an alternate way to meet your obligation. December workshop hours will be used toward any Spring 2018 Flex obligation requirements.
- Completion of ALL FOUR sessions constitutes the training
- 35 person cohort will be selected on a first-come/first serve basis finalized by September 8th, 2017
- This training is jointly sponsored by the Mesa College Committee for Diversity Action, Inclusion & Equity (CDAIE) and Learning Opportunities for Transformation (LOFT)
- This training is being supported through Student Success & Equity.
- There will be no cost to participants
About the Presenter
Dr. Tanis King Starck
- Assistant Dean of Special Projects, SDSU’S College of Education
- Director of the Cultural Proficiency Institute for Educators (CPIE)
- Author of the book we will be using for our training, Enhancing Cultural Competency for Educators
- The 2017 Outstanding African American Educator for San Diego County