Canyon Day Schedule -- Sat., April 22, 2017
Canyon Day Clean-up is scheduled as follows. Please join us and tell us you're coming! Community service credit hours are available (certificate signed by Tim McGrath, Vice President!), all participants receive a free t-shirt (while supplies last) and a certificate of participation.
8:30-8:45 a.m. (This is a change from years past!) Meet at Mesa College Parking Lot #1 off Marlesta to register your participation in Canyon Day. Parking is free. PLEASE DO NOT DROP OFF AT THE TRAILHEAD. Please bring your work gloves if you have some! After registering, change into your cool Canyon Day t-shirt, walk down to the clean-up area with a group.
8:45 a.m. Park Ranger Janice Lavallee will provide a safety talk before the canyon cleanup, which will involve trash and invasive species removal. Tools and supplied are provided.
9:00 a.m. Clean-up begins. Impromptu information talks about the flora, fauna and geology of the canyon will be presented by biology and science professors. Cleanup: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
12:00 to 1 p.m. Refreshments, certificate presentation.
NOTICE TO PARTICIPANTS
* Volunteers are asked to sign in at Mesa College Parking Lot #1 off Marlesta to register your participation in Canyon Day. -- PARENTS, PLEASE DO NOT DROP OFF AT THE TRAILHEAD. Please bring your work gloves if you have some!
* Not recommended for children under 10 years of age or pets. Children under 18 must have a signed waiver slips (click here for Mesa College waiver form and City of San Diego Waiver Form) or be accompanied by a parent/guardian. The waiver forms are available on this website, just click on Posters and Waiver forms on the right. Questions? Call 619-388-2942
* Closed-toe shoes, long pants and long-sleeve shirts are required.
Park along Marlesta and Genesee, or in Lot #1, Mesa College; parking is free and permits are NOT required for the day. Do not drop off at the trailhead site; please be careful and use crosswalks while crossing Genesee. (Click on Canyon Day Map at left for locations).
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Drop off and Park in Lot #1 (up Marlesta; right at Chasewood. Registration is in Lot #1, where you will sign (or drop off) your waiver form, and pick up your t-shirt and water bottle, and get your hand stamped.
- Please wear your Canyon Day t-shirt -- it's a safety factor.
- After registration, walk down to the Tecolote Canyon trailhead near the corner of Genesee and Marlesta (look for the white tents).
- All participants must sign a waiver form (available at site). Children under 18 not accompanied by a guardian must bring a signed waiver form. Click here for Mesa College waiver form and City of San Diego Waiver Form Closed-toed shoes required. Questions? Call 619-388-2942
- Not recommended for children under 10 years of age; or pets (poison oak in canyon).
- Ranger Janice Lavallee of Tecolote Canyon Natural Park will lead the canyon cleanup. Canyon cleanup activities will include trash and invasive species removal.
- Tool and supplied are provided.
- Closed-toe shoes, long pants and long-sleeve shirts are required.
- Don't forget to pick up your community service certificate from Prez Pam Luster before you leave!
- We're looking for someone to create our YouTube video for this year's event; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 619-388-2759.
We're On YouTube and Facebook!
- Watch a video of the 2014 Canyon Cleanup, check out the photos here.
- Watch a video of the 2013 Canyon Cleanup, check out the photos here.
- Canyon Clean-up 2012 was cancelled due to inclement weather.
- Check out the photos of 2011 Canyon Clean up here.
- Watch a video of the 2010 Canyon Cleanup
- Watch a video of the 2008 Canyon Cleanup
Thank you for helping us to clean our canyon!
Canyon Day Co-Chairs
Jennifer Nichols Kearns, Mesa College Information Officer, email@example.com
Jennifer Carmichael, Biology Professor, firstname.lastname@example.org