Join us for the 10th Anniversary of CANYON DAY on Saturday, April 14, 2018!
This year, Mesa College is celebrating the 10th Anniversary of Canyon Day!
Canyon Day is an annual canyon clean-up hosted by Mesa College in conjunction with the City of San Diego and Park Rangers from the Tecolote Canyon Natural Park and Nature Center. Students, faculty and staff from Mesa College, along with members of the broader community join together to clean a section of Tecolote Canyon and the nature trails adjacent to the college. We remove trash, debris and non-native plants, to improve the environment and quality of the trails. Everyone is welcome to participate and refreshments will be provided. Volunteers will also receive a commemorative t-shirt (while supplies last). Students can earn 4 hours of community service hours for participating.
Please RSVP for Canyon Day 2018 on Facebook
- Canyon Day Clean-up schedule is below.
- Please fill-in and print OR print and complete the Canyon Day Volunteer Waiver Form 2018 (Fillable PDF)
- Community service credit is available (4 hours)
- All participants receive a free t-shirt (while supplies last) and a certificate of participation.
Please be sure to read all the information and to bring a signed waiver form. We hope you'll join us. It’s hard work and loads of fun!
SATURDAY, APRIL 14, 2017
8:00-8:45 a.m. (This is a change from years past!)
- Meet in Mesa College Parking Lot #1, off Marlesta to register your participation in Canyon Day.
- Please Do Not Drop Off or Park at the Trailhead.
- Please bring your work gloves if you have some! After registering, you'll walk down to the clean-up area with a group.
8:45 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
- Park Rangers will provide a safety talk before the canyon cleanup, which will involve trash and invasive species removal.
- Tools and supplied are provided.
- Participants will be divided into groups led by Team Leaders.
- Clean-up begins. Impromptu information talks about the flora, fauna and geology of the canyon will be presented by Mesa College professors.
- Cleanup: 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
12:00 p.m. Refreshments, certificate presentation.
NOTICE TO PARTICIPANTS
* Not recommended for children under 10 years of age. Children under 18 must have a signed waiver slips (Mesa College waiver form) AND be accompanied by a parent/guardian. The waiver forms are available above and on the day of the event.
* Closed-toe shoes, long pants and long-sleeve shirts are required. Please bring work gloves if you have some!
PARKING: Park in Lot #1, Mesa College, off Marlesta; parking is free and permits are NOT required for the day. For safety precautions, drop offs should also be made in Parking Lot #1. Participants will walk down to the site. Please be careful and use crosswalks while crossing Genessee. (Click on Canyon Day Map at left for locations).
Are you a camera or video buff? We're looking for someone to record video for this year's event; please contact Jennifer Kearns in the Office of Communications at email@example.com
We're On YouTube!
- Watch a video of the 2015 Canyon Cleanup
- Watch a video of the 2014 Canyon Cleanup
- Watch a video of the 2013 Canyon Cleanup
- Watch a video of the 2010 Canyon Cleanup
- Watch a video of the 2008 Canyon Cleanup
Check out the photos on our Facebook page (“like us” while you're there, and tag your photos!)
If you did not receive your certificate of participation documenting your community service, please email Jennifer Nichols Kearns at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you'd like to help us create a YouTube video for this year's Canyon Day, please contact email@example.com or call 619-388-2759.
In collaboration with representatives of the various communities surrounding Mesa College, create an opportunity for community collaboration focusing on outreach, education and awareness of conservation of the environment and preservation of Tecolote Canyon.
- Jennifer Nichols Kearns, Co-Chair and Media Contact
Business Sponsorship Opportunities
Please call: 619-388-2759