Join us for CANYON DAY on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - help clean up Tecolote Canyon
Please RSVP on Facebook for Canyon Day 2017 at https://www.facebook.com/events/1194309017352314/
- Canyon Day Clean-up schedule is below.
- Please fill-in and print OR print and complete the Canyon Day Volunteer Waiver Form 2017 (Fillable PDF)
- Community service credit is available
- All participants receive a free t-shirt (while supplies last) and a certificate of participation.
Since 2008, Mesa College, its neighbors and friends have gathered together to clean a branch of the Tecolote Canyon nature trail adjacent to the college. Everyone is welcome and we'll have free t-shirts (while they last) and snacks. Participating in Canyon Day is a great way do something good for Mother Nature in the company of great people doing great good for our community.
Please be sure to read all the information and to bring a signed waiver form. We hope you'll join us. It’s hard work and loads of fun!
SATURDAY, APRIL 22, 2017
8:00-8:45 a.m. (This is a change from years past!)
- Meet in Mesa College Parking Lot #1, off Marlesta to register your participation in Canyon Day.
- Please Do Not Drop Off or Park at the Trailhead.
- Please bring your work gloves if you have some! After registering, you'll walk down to the clean-up area with a group.
8:45 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
- Park Ranger Janice Lavallee will provide a safety talk before the canyon cleanup, which will involve trash and invasive species removal.
- Tools and supplied are provided.
- Participants will be divided into groups led by Team Leaders.
- Clean-up begins. Impromptu information talks about the flora, fauna and geology of the canyon will be presented by Mesa College professors.
- Cleanup: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
12:00 to 1 p.m. Refreshments, certificate presentation.
NOTICE TO PARTICIPANTS
* Not recommended for children under 10 years of age. Children under 18 must have a signed waiver slips (Mesa College waiver form) AND be accompanied by a parent/guardian. The waiver forms are available above and on the day of the event.
* Closed-toe shoes, long pants and long-sleeve shirts are required. Please bring your work gloves if you have some!
PARKING: Park in Lot #1, Mesa College, off Marlesta; parking is free and permits are NOT required for the day. For safety precautions, drop offs should also be made in Parking Lot #1. Participants will walk down to the site. Please be careful and use crosswalks while crossing Genessee. (Click on Canyon Day Map at left for locations).
Are you a camera or video buff? We're looking for someone to create a YouTube video for this year's event; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 619-388-2759.
We're On YouTube!
- Watch a video of the 2015 Canyon Cleanup
- Watch a video of the 2014 Canyon Cleanup
- Watch a video of the 2013 Canyon Cleanup
- Watch a video of the 2010 Canyon Cleanup
- Watch a video of the 2008 Canyon Cleanup
Check out the photos on our Facebook page (“like us” while you're there, and tag your photos!)
If you did not receive your certificate of participation documenting your community service, please email Jennifer Nichols Kearns at email@example.com.
If you'd like to help us create a YouTube video for this year's Canyon Day, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 619-388-2759.
In collaboration with representatives of the various communities surrounding Mesa College, create an opportunity for community collaboration focusing on outreach, education and awareness of conservation of the environment and preservation of Tecolote Canyon.
- Jennifer Nichols Kearns, Co-Chair and Media Contact
- Prof. Jennifer Carmichael, Co-Chair
Business Sponsorship Opportunities
Please call: 619-388-2759