SAVE THE DATE!
Join us to help clean Tecolote Canyon -- Saturday, April 22, 2017
Please RSVP on Facebook for Canyon Day 2017
--Please bring your work gloves!--
Since 2008, Mesa College, its neighbors and friends have gathered together to clean a branch of the Tecolote Canyon nature trail adjacent to the college. Everyone is welcome and we'll have free t-shirts (while they last) and snacks. Participating in Canyon Day is a great way do something good for Mother Nature in the company of great people doing great good for our community. Click on Canyon Clean-up to get the full details (most repeated below). Please be sure to read all the information here, and to bring a signed waiver form if you are under the age of 18 and not accompanied by a guardian. We hope you'll join us. It's hard work, and loads of fun!
Canyon Day Clean-up is scheduled as follows. Please join us! Community service credit is available, all participants receive a free t-shirt (while supplies last) and a certificate of participation.
SATURDAY, APRIL 22, 2017
8:30-8:45 a.m. (This is a change from years past!) Meet or be dropped of at Mesa College Parking Lot #1 off Marlesta to register your participation in Canyon Day. -- PLEASE DO NOT DROP OFF OR PARK AT THE TRAILHEAD, IT IS NOW FENCED OFF. Please bring your work gloves if you have some! After registering, you'll walk down to the clean-up area with a group.
9:00 a.m. Park Ranger Janice Lavallee will provide a safety talk before the canyon cleanup, which will involve trash and invasive species removal. Tools and supplied are provided. Participants will be divided into groups led by Team Leaders. (If you are interested in becoming a team leader, call or emails Janice Lavallee at firstname.lastname@example.org or 858-581-9961.
9:15 a.m. Clean-up begins. Impromptu information talks about the flora, fauna and geology of the canyon will be presented by Mesa College professors. Cleanup: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
12:00 to 1 p.m. Refreshments, certificate presentation.
NOTICE TO PARTICIPANTS
* Volunteers are asked to sign in at Mesa College Parking Lot #1 off Marlesta to register your participation in Canyon Day. Please bring your work gloves if you have some!
* PARENTS, PLEASE DO NOT DROP OFF AT THE TRAILHEAD. Drop off is in Parking Lot #1. You must bring or complete a signed waiver form for students aged 18 or younger.
* Not recommended for children under 10 years of age. Children under 18 must have a signed waiver slips (Mesa College waiver form) AND be accompanied by a parent/guardian. The waiver forms are available on this website, just click on Posters and Waiver forms on the right. Questions? Call 619-388-2759
* Closed-toe shoes, long pants and long-sleeve shirts are required. Please bring your work gloves if you have some!
PARKING: Park in Lot #1, Mesa College, off Marlesta; parking is free and permits are NOT required for the day. For safety precautions, drop offs should also be made in Parking Lot #1. Participants will walk down to the site. Please be careful and use crosswalks while crossing Genessee. (Click on Canyon Day Map at left for locations).
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Let us know you're coming by logging in to our event at www.facebook.com/sandiegomesacollege
- Volunteers meet and register in Mesa College Parking Lot #1 (Click on Canyon Day Map at left)
- All participants must sign a San Diego Mesa College/City of San Diego waiver form (available here). Children under 18 not accompanied by a guardian must bring a signed waiver form. Closed-toed shoes required. Questions? Call 619-388-2759
- Not recommended for children under 10 years of age.
- Ranger Janice Lavallee of Tecolote Canyon Natural Park will lead the canyon cleanup. Canyon cleanup activities will include trash and invasive species removal.
- Some tools are provided. Please bring your work gloves if you have some!
- Closed-toe shoes, long pants and long-sleeve shirts are required.
- Are you a camera or video buff? We're looking for someone to create our YouTube video for this year's event; please contact email@example.com or call 619-388-2759.
We're On YouTube!
- Watch a video of the 2015 Canyon Cleanup
- Watch a video of the 2014 Canyon Cleanup
- Watch a video of the 2013 Canyon Cleanup
- Watch a video of the 2010 Canyon Cleanup
- Watch a video of the 2008 Canyon Cleanup
Check out the photos on our Facebook page (“like us” while you're there, and tag your photos!)
If you did not receive your certificate of participation documenting your community service, please email Jennifer Nichols Kearns at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you'd like to help us create a YouTube video for this year's Canyon Day, please contact email@example.com or call 619-388-2759.
In collaboration with representatives of the various communities surrounding Mesa College, create an opportunity for community collaboration focusing on outreach, education and awareness of conservation of the environment and preservation of Tecolote Canyon.
- Prof. Jennifer Carmichael, Co-Chair
- Jennifer Nichols Kearns, Co-Chair and Media Contact
Business Sponsorship Opportunities
Please call: 619-388-2759