- Global Awareness
- Guided Pathways
- Hispanic Serving Institution
- Student Success & Equity
- Humanities Institute
About the Humanities Institute
Since it began as a campus-wide initiative in September of 1990, the Humanities Institute has supported the work of faculty and staff to bring diverse programming/events (including organizing and sponsoring conferences, guest speaker series, and community partnerships) to Mesa College. In the past, this was made possible by having a full-time faculty member and staff support to coordinate this level of work with the campus.
The Mesa College Humanities Institute serves as an internal vehicle for cultural, interdisciplinary, and Mesa College community priorities. All institute activities are intended to increase student engagement, recruitment, and retention.
Request for Funding 2018-2019 School Year will be released in April 2018
The current Humanities Institute works to:
- Provide a funding base for faculty and staff to use for coordinating/organizing programs/events that promote our mission of working to serve as an internal vehicle for cultural, Interdisciplinary and San Diego Mesa College community priorities.
- Provide support to complete paperwork related to funded programming/events.
- Provide a network of campus and community partners for publicizing programming/events through email and print.
Resources for the Humanities
- Community College Humanities Association
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- California Council for the Humanities
- California Arts Council
- San Diego Commission for Arts and Culture
For more information contact: George Ye, Humanities Institute Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org / 619-388-2304.
2018 - 2019 Grant Recipients
Excavating the Mystery Mary Ross
14 Annual Language Conference Michael Harris
Call to the Canyon Waverly Ray
Constitution Day 2018 Courtney Lee
“Arrival” Stories of the Immigrant Experience John Polak
19th Annual Women’s History Month Women’s Studies
Chicano/Latino Heritage Celebration Manuel Velez
Career Presentation Panel (APAI) Shirley Flor
Career and Majors Fair Anne Hedekin
International Education Day Languages
Day of the Dead Celebration Languages
Emerging Voices: Revealing True Identities Jorge Villalobos
Native American History Month Michael Cox
Annual Cesar Chavez Celebration Chicano Studies
25 Anniversary Mesa Visions Jennifer Derilo
Sariling Atin: We are Our Stories English Department
Vagina Monologues Art History, Spanish
Master Class Dramatic Arts Kris Clark
Chinese Culture Celebration: Moon Festival Shannon Shi
Festival of Colors Judy Sundayo
Black History Month Celebration Judy Sundayo