- Global Awareness
- Guided Pathways
- Hispanic Serving Institution
- Student Success & Equity
- Humanities Institute
Title III Grant-STEM Conexiones
7250 Mesa College Drive
School of Learning Resources and Academic Support, LRC
San Diego, CA 92111
Leticia P. Lopez, Ph.D.
HSI STEM Grant
Acting Program Manager
Yolanda Catano, M.A.
HSI STEM Grant
Miranda Mitchem, Ph. D.
STEM Center Coordinator
Assistant Professor of Biology
STEM Professional Learning Coordinator
STEM Instructional Support Supervisor
Maria Jose Zeledon-Perez
HSI Learning Coordinator
Research Incubator Coordinator, Assistant Professor of Psychology
STEM Classroon Outreach
Meet The Team
Click here to learn more about the STEM Conexiones faculty and staff.
Title III HSI
The U.S Department of Education awarded Mesa College a 5-year, $5 million HSI (Hispanic Serving Institution) Title III STEM Grant to fund “STEM Conexiones” (STEM Connections), and support Hispanic and low-income students. The grant aims to increase student connections in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) through enhanced counseling services, workshops, peer mentoring and outreach, faculty connections through cultural professional learning and STEM curriculum redesign, and pathway connections working directly with high schools and adult learners to prepare them for STEM majors. This grant will establish a STEM Center and a STEM Research Incubator for students, and furthers Mesa College’s commitment as a Hispanic Serving Institution.
Through the institutionalization of programs and practices at San Diego Mesa College, we will increase the percentage of full-time, Hispanic, and low-income students that:
- Seek a STEM degree
- Complete a STEM degree
- Transfer in a STEM major
Interested in becoming a STEM Conexiones Scholar? Register below to apply for a faculty mentor or peer-mentor for Spring 2018. Space is limited.
- One-on-one faculty mentorship
or one-on-one peer mentorship
for an entire semester
- Priority access to a STEM counselor
- STEM tutoring sessions
- Access to academic workshops
- Networking with the STEM community
- Career guidance
- and personalized academic support
- Student Connections – Examples include: Development of a STEM Center and Research Incubator with a cultural focus; STEM faculty mentoring; Structured Learning Assistance
- Faculty Connections – Examples include: Implement a comprehensive professional development program for STEM faculty that includes training in culturally-inclusive pedagogy, mentoring, and use of technology; Course and lab redesign opportunities; STEM Faculty Mentoring
- Pathways – Examples include: Provide outreach regarding STEM education and STEM careers to
students in K-12 with a focus on high school students; Provide undecided Mesa students
with info on STEM programs and careers; Review existing articulation agreements; Develop
smooth pathways for students transferring to four-year institutions