International Education Week 2014
The Mesa College Global Awareness Committee supports the annual celebration of International Education Week (IEW) by offering faculty presentations, student-led language exchanges, dialogues with international students, an International Education Fair, and an international film festival.
Monday, November 17, 2014 -- FACULTY GUEST LECTURES in H117/118 (adjacent to the Cafeteria)
- (9:00-10:00) Mesa College, Prof. Sam Farahani (Political Science) - "Hot Topics in the Middle East"
- (10:10-11:10) San Diego State University, Dr. Steve Sacco (International Business, Professor Emeritus) - "Global Sustainability Careers: Opportunities and Challenges"
- (11:15-12:15) San Diego State University, Dr. Mark Ballam (CIBER, Co-Director) - "Undergraduate and Graduate Studies at SDSU's Center for International Business Education and Research"
- (2:30-3:30) Mesa College, Dr. Patxi Zabaleta (Spanish) - "Mesa in Spain Orientation Meeting" -- LRC 229 (2nd floor Library)
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 -- STUDY ABROAD FAIR (on the Mesa Promenade)
- International Education Fair-- Exhibitor Registration Form
- Agencies participating: Alliance Francaise de San Diego; Arslan Gyros; Bahai Club; Center for International Studies CISAbroad; Fifty Twenty-Five at SDSU; Gilman Study Abroad Scholarships; Hostelling International; Mesa College French Club; Mesa College International Students Club; Mesa College Spanish Club; Mesa College Study Abroad; Mr. Joey's Taco Shop; National University; Peace Corps; Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society; Study Abroad Design; UCSD Programs Abroad; Vista Higher Learning; U.S. Department of State, San Diego Passport Agency; Wells Fargo; WorldStrides International
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 -- Language Center Grand Opening in the LRC (Library)
- Comments | Refreshments | Tours
- 10 a.m., 2nd Floor, LRC (Learning Resource Center / Library)
- The Language Center supports a robust curriculum featuring instruction in ten languages of the peoples of five continents and taught by more than 50 dedicated and diverse faculty members.
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 -- STUDENT VOICES in H117/118 (adjacent to the Cafeteria)
- (1:00-2:00) Language Exchange -- Facilitated by Prof. Dora Schoenbrun-Fernandez: M Fusion Cafe Patio, behind the Cafeteria
- (2:00-3:00) Students' Lessons from Abroad -- Former Study Abroad Scholarship Winners (Kyle Tortajada, Rachel Gonzales, Amanda Morse, Luz Cristina)
- (3:00-4:00) Phi Theta Kappa, International Honors Society -- Community College Completion Corps, C4 (Mesa College Chapter Leadership Team: Alvin Mangaliman, Dianne Lorido, Jose Villanueva)
- (7:00-9:00) France Summer 2015 Study Abroad Information Session -- Facilitated by Prof. Uriel Ornelas -- G101
Thursday, November 20, 2014 -- INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
- (9:35-11:00) - Film #1 - "Deypika's Wedding," H117 -- Prof. Meera Kumar: Documentary film that depicts Indian culture and customs
- (11:00-12:35) -Film #2 - "5 Broken Cameras," G102 -- Prof. Denise Rogers: Documentary film about the struggle of a Palestinian village against expanding Israeli settlements and the path of the country's approaching security fence
- (11:10-1:35) - Film #3 - "Volver," H117 -- Prof. Hannah Padilla Barajas: Feature film by Pedro Almodovar that depicts a tragicomic melodrama and the trials and tribulations of three women in a small Spanish village. Starring Carmen Maura and Penelope Cruz.
- (1:45-4:10) - Film #4 - "Anita," H117-- Prof. Hannah Padilla Barajas: Feature film about the life of an Argentinian young woman with Down Syndrome whose life changes one tragic morning.
- (4:20-5:30) - Film #5 - "Adrift Without Roots," H117 -- Prof. Maria Gee: Documentary about cultural conflict between traditional Chinese values and new American values for many Chinese immigrants
Sponsors: San Diego Mesa College Humanities Institute; Associated Students; Mesa College Global Awareness / International Education Committee; Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society
For more information: Contact Professor Leticia P. López, 619-388-2353, firstname.lastname@example.org